Notes On Genesis #2 - 'Sin Lies At The Door' | Cain Kills Abel

We all know a little bit about the story of Cain and his brother Abel -- Adam and Eve's first documented kids (I say documented, because the Holy Bible only indicates that they had 3 children...which is kind of ridiculous for people living almost 1,000 years..that's not being too fruitful :)

Even if you've never read the story, I'm sure you've heard the phrase 'Am I my brother's keeper?' That's what Cain said to GOD when HE asked about his slain brother.

But how did all of this come about? -- Cain and Abel presented gifts to the LORD. Cain some fruits since he was a tiller of the ground, and Abel the firstborn of his flock (and their fat, the Holy Bible says) since he was a shepherd.

Gen. 4: 6...And the LORD respected Abel and his offering/ 5.but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell./ 6.So the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen?/ 7.If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

This is a difficult passage for me because I can only guess why GOD respected Abel's offering and not Cain's. I suppose it's because Abel gave the firstborn of his flock... not just any old sheep in the fold. The Holy Bible says Cain brought "fruit of the ground" to the LORD. Perhaps Cain didn't put enough effort into his gift? Perhaps he just brought any old kinda fruit -- not the best, choice of his crop. Who knows? UPDATE (03/18/2008): I found a cross reference in 1 John). Bottom line, Cain got upset that Abel out-shined him. So what does he do?

Oh, he murders him. Problem solved! ...Only now you're a murderer and will have to answer to GOD.

And apparently GOD knew he was bound to do something stupid because of how angry he had let himself get..w/ his brother. Why get angry with Abel? Shouldn't Cain have gotten angry with GOD and brought his case to HIM?

But what stands out to me in this story is the phrase "sin lies at the door...it's desire is for you, but you should rule over it..."

Cain let his emotions get the best of him, and instead of controlling his emotions, he killed his brother in anger...out of jealousy.

I guess the message is to keep our emotions in check. I know I've let anger lead me to do and say some very stupid things that I wish I could take back. And in that moment of anger or jealousy, or what have you, you can do two things -- 1.give in to your emotions and let them lead you; or 2.conquer your emotions and act rationally.

When you're in those heated moments "sin lies at the door...and it's desire is for you.." But remember, "you should rule over it."

You don't want to be that guy or woman who makes a public fool of him/herself because he/she let anger dictate his/her actions.

0 comments: